ISO 22000 is an international standard which specifies the requirements for a food safety management system. It involves interactive communication, system management, prerequisite programs and HACCP principles.
Benefits of ISO 22000
- Integration – shares a similar format to ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 making it suitable for the development of an integrated risk based management system
- Show commitment – helps you to manage food safety hazards and risks and communicate this publicly giving stakeholders confidence that you are serious about safety
- Commercially – ISO 22000 is recognized throughout the global food chain and larger food producers in particular may favour those with ISO 22000.
- Cost saving – Many food companies currently have to meet the requirements of numerous standards and schemes. ISO 22000 gives an opportunity to harmonize all HACCP based standards
- Compliance – organizations need to show their compliance with all relevant statutory and regulatory food safety requirements in addition to adherence to their own stated food safety policy
Why choose LRQA for ISO 22000?
- LRQA has been at the forefront of standards development and involved in SMS assessment and certification for years
Proven Track Record
- We have high-profile clients in the food processing, food manufacturing and packaging industries
- Our assessors are management experts in food safety
What is ISO 22000 certification?
Published in 2005, it offered an opportunity to harmonize the requirements for managing safety and controlling risks within all parts of the food supply chain and in so doing offer consistency and best practice on a global basis.
A standard that is relevant to all parts of the food supply chain regardless of size, from 'farm to fork' it is also applicable to suppliers of non-food products and services, like cleaning, equipment manufacturers and transport companies. It’s suitability for all stakeholders in the chain also makes it an ideal tool to implement HACCP throughout the food supply chain.The standard has three parts:
- references to good manufacturing practices and existing practices
- requirements for HACCP according to the HACCP principles of the Codex Alimentarius
- requirements for a management system
ISO 22000:2005 requires organizations to plan, implement, operate and maintain a food safety management system that consistently provides products that are safe for consumption.
LRQA was instrumental in the development of the standard as a member of the ISO 22000 working group, which means our customers will be assured of accurate information. We were also one of the first to be accredited by UKAS to provide services to this global standard.
Organizations can also opt to gain certification to FSSC 22000, which is the first global food safety standard specifically targeted at the food manufacturing sector.
Contact us to learn more about ISO 22000 certification and training