An effective and robust occupational health and safety (OHS) management system can help you turn uncontrolled hazards into controlled risks and so better safeguard the well-being of both your people and your business.
OHSAS 18001 has been developed in response to industry demand for a recognizable health and safety management system standard which can be externally assessed and certified.
As part of the Lloyd’s Register Group, which has been involved in the business of safety since 1760, LRQA is ideally placed to provide OHSAS 18001 gap analysis, OHSAS 18001 certification and OHSAS 18001 training.
With the growing pressure for accountability in recent years, certification from LRQA is one very visible way of letting your stakeholders know you mean business when it comes to health and safety.
The future of OHSAS 18001: ISO 45001
“…ISO 45001 will incorporate Annex SL – the common text and structure for all new and revised ISO standards,” says Steve Williams, LRQA System & Governance Manager and an external liaison member of ISO Project Committee (PC) 283 Working Group 1 (WG1) for ISO 45001.
“ Clearly, the revisions of all of the world’s major standards are now gathering pace with ISO 45001 moving to CD and both the international quality standard ISO 9001 and environmental standard ISO 14001 being at Draft International Stage (DIS). ”
Through LRQA’s membership of the Independent International Organisation for Certification (IIOC), LRQA participates in all of the major committees helping to shape the future of the world’ leading ISO standards.
Stay tuned for additional updates on the forthcoming ISO 45001…
Benefits of OHSAS 18001
- Protecting your people - a structured approach to hazard identification and risk management which can contribute to the provision of a healthier and safer working environment and the avoidance of a high proportion of accidents and occupational health problems. This should help reduce lost time through employee illness and injury which in turn can lead to improved staff morale.
- Minimizing risk - the management of health and safety becoming more transparent and effective by translating the outputs of risk assessment, audits, inspections, legal reviews and incident investigations into action plans to minimize the risk of accidents.
- Legislation – provides a means for identifying existing legislation and other relevant requirements helping you stay within the law. This in turn can lead to potential reductions in liability claims and lower insurance premiums.
- Stakeholder confidence - increased credibility from having an OHS management system independently assessed and certified
- Management system-based – the ‘plan do check act’ basis of this standard is in common with other management system standards, such as ISO 9001 and ISO 14001, meaning it is easier to develop an integrated system.
Why choose LRQA?
- Trusted experience - LRQA has been a market leader in OHSAS 18001 certiﬁcation and training for years, and more than half of the world’s top 200 companies choose LRQA.
- Technical expertise – LRQA health and safety technical specialists were instrumental in the development of OHSAS 18001, and also involved in the development of its future replacement, ISO 45001. Our assessors and technical specialists have some of the most extensive OHSAS 18001 and health and safety experience in the world. Many are hand-selected to provide input into the work of the ISO technical committees and are able to provide first-hand insight into requirements of the standard and the standard’s logic.
- Accreditation - Globally, LRQA has been independently accredited by multiple accreditation bodies to provide OHSAS 18001 certification.
- Proven client satisfaction – Year after year, LRQA clients continue to report overall satisfaction rating of our service and technical support.
- Impartiality and objectivity – With no shareholders of our own, we are independent and impartial in everything we do. We are committed to acting with integrity and objectivity at all times.
- Assessment methodology – LRQA helps you manage your systems and risks to improve and protect the current and future performance of your organization. Our approach is built on three pillars and extends the focus beyond the certificate to an assessment approach designed to help organizations meet their strategic objectives. This is why we’re confident that LRQA will help clients transition from OHSAS 18001 to the new ISO 45001 standard with ease, in due course.
Integrating your management systems?
- Integrating OHSAS 18001 and ISO 14001 – If you have OHSAS 18001 and are thinking about implementing ISO 14001, we can help. Demonstrate that your organization implements industry best practices for health & safety and environmental procedures and implement an integrated management system certified to OHSAS 18001 and ISO 14001. We also offer integrated training for EMS and OHS management systems professionals.