Whether you're reporting your climate data to the CDP or just looking to add credibility to your carbon and GHG reduction efforts, ISO 14064 services from LRQA can help.
What is ISO 14064?
ISO 14064 is an international standard against which GHG emissions reports are voluntarily verified. In parallel with the emergence of regulated or mandatory schemes relating to monitoring, reporting and verification of Greenhouse Gases (GHG), organizations outside of these schemes are now increasingly wishing to monitor and report their emissions (commonly referred to as the organization’s carbon footprint). In response to this demand and to provide an international standard against which such reports can be voluntarily verified, ISO 14064 has been developed.
ISO 14064 has been prepared in three parts:
Part 1: This details the principles and requirements for designing, developing, managing and reporting organization level GHG inventories. It includes requirements for determining boundaries, quantifying emissions and removals, and identifying specific company actions or activities aimed at improving GHG management. It also includes requirements and guidance on quality management of the GHG inventory, reporting, internal auditing and the organization's responsibilities for verification.
Part 2: This focuses on GHG projects or project based activities specifically designed to reduce GHG emissions or increase GHG removals. It includes principles and requirements for determining project baseline scenarios and for monitoring, quantifying and reporting project performance relative to that baseline and provides the basis for GHG projects to be validated and verified.
Part 3: This part of ISO 14064 provides principles, requirements and guidance for those conducting GHG information validation and verification. It describes a process for providing assurance to intended users that an organization's or project's GHG assertions are complete, accurate, consistent, transparent and without material discrepancies.
Benefits of ISO 14064
- Show commitment - prove your commitment to being a greener organization to your stakeholders, by measuring and reporting your GHG emissions and having your GHG management systems independently verified.
- Internal improvements - develop robust internal mechanisms for quantifying and reporting GHG emissions
- Trust - the standard will help you prepare legitimate GHG assertions, claims and reports which can be used to build trust with your stakeholders.
- Robust systems - To implement robust systems for the monitoring and reporting of GHG emissions
- Future proofing - it will facilitate the development and implementation of your GHG management strategies and plans for the future.
- Monitoring - it will provide the ability to track performance and progress in the reduction of GHG emissions and/or the increase in GHG removals.
- Credibility - To enhance the credibility, consistency and transparency of GHG quantification, monitoring and reporting to any interested parties.
- Gap analysis - against ISO 14064 parts 1 or 2
- Verification - of an organization's GHG assertions, claims and reports against ISO 14064, part 1.
- Validation and verification - of GHG projects against ISO 14064, part 2.
- Implementation Workshops - facilitated workshops aimed at providing training to your organization on how to develop a process to implement and manage these issues.
Why choose LRQA?
LRQA is at the leading edge of GHG verification services across a range of sectors and schemes world-wide. Which places LRQA in a prime position to share experience and expertise to help clients manage their GHG data gathering, monitoring and reporting and gain robust third party verifications of their assertions.
Local, national & international experience - LRQA has broad experience of validation and verification within both voluntary mechanisms such as ISO 14064, The Climate Registry and the Japanese Voluntary Emissions Trading Scheme; and regulated schemes at a sub-national level such as the California Air Resources Board, the national level such as the UK Emissions Trading Scheme, the regional level such as the EU Emissions Trading Scheme and at international level such as the UNFCCC Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) and Joint Implementation.
Corporate reports experience - LRQA also has experience within other relevant areas of corporate report verification, including Corporate Social Responsibility, Corporate Sustainability and/or Environmental Reports.
Contact us to learn more about ISO 14064 greenhouse gas certification