The BRC Packaging Standard can be used by any manufacturer producing packaging materials for all types of products – from food to consumer goods.
Originally issued in 2001, the BRC Packaging Standard is now in Issue 5 which was released in July 2015.
BRC Packaging Standard Issue 5 is the first packaging standard in the world to have been recognized by the GFSI benchmarking committee. Now, 3500+ organizations in 80+ countries are certified to BRC Packaging Issue 5.
LRQA holds accreditation from UKAS to ISO 17065:2012 which together with our expertise in the food, packaging and consumer goods sectors means we are your accredited certification body of choice for BRC Packaging Issue 5 certification. We are a market leader in BRC certification, having certified large, medium and small organizations across North America, Latin America, Europe and the Middle East.
Achieving BRC Packaging Issue 5 Certification
The BRC Packaging Standard is divided into eight manufacturing technologies, including glass manufacture and forming, papermaking and conversion, metal forming, rigid plastics manufacture, print processes and chemical processes. In addition, the standard consists of six sections including Senior Management Commitment, Hazard and Risk Management System, Product Safety and Quality Management, Site Standards, Product and Process Control and Personnel.
The certification visit includes inspection of your hazard and risk management system, technical management system to include quality and hygiene systems and factory standards, products, processes and personnel. The visit includes preparation of the Audit Report, which will be sent to you following approval, at which point you can issue to your customers to demonstrate your ability to meet the requirements of the Standard.
AuditOneTM Voluntary Module + BRC Packaging Issue 5
The AuditOne™ Initiative is driven by the Foundation For Strategic Sourcing (F4SS) and seeks to develop a single set of quality standards and audit processes that establish a uniform harmonized standard for the industry. As a result, suppliers will have the opportunity to have one audit that will meet the requirements of multiple customers.
The AuditOne™ Additional Module and BRC Global Standards Packaging meet the requirements established by F4SS Members in cooperation with Procter & Gamble, Johnson & Johnson, Unilever, L'Oreal and Estee Lauder among other leading consumer goods brands. The process is intended to create a broad and far reaching harmonized quality process for the FMCG/CPG non-foods industry.
LRQA has been approved to deliver BRC Packaging Issue 5 + AuditOne™ Voluntary Module certification under AuditOne™ using the technology platform powered by Greenfence. Our knowledge of BRC standards as well of the packaging and consumer goods industry makes us your approved AuditOne™ certification body of choice, and we’re ready to support your certification.
Benefits of BRC Global Standard for Packaging and Packaging Materials
There are significant benefits in certification to the BRC Global Standard for Packaging and Packaging Materials. It helps reduce or eliminate multiple assessments with the additional benefits of reduction in disruption to the business associated paperwork and costs. Additional benefits include:
- Benchmarked by the GFSI, enabling your organization to achieve certification to a GFSI-recognized standard.
- Leading packaging standard of choice with more than 3500+ certifications globally.
- It offers additional modules, such as the AuditOne™ Voluntary Module, that enables your organization to comply with F4SS requirements and helps support your organizations ability to supply to major brands such as P&G, Johnson & Johnson, Unilever, L’Oreal and Estee Lauder, GoJo among others.
- Customer satisfaction – a single comprehensive verification program enabling regular reporting to food retailers and other parties as agreed.
- Best practice – assurance that systems in place are working to enable production of safe packaging.
- Reduced costs – continual improvement of the quality, hygiene and product safety systems resulting on operations efficiencies.
- Single verification programme enabling regular reporting to food retailers and other parties as agreed.
- Comprehensive and focused on quality, legality and product safety.
- Addresses part of the ‘due diligence’ requirements of packaging manufacturer/ supplier; packer/filler and retailer.
- Regular surveillance visits help ensure continual improvement of the quality, hygiene and product safety system.
- A standardised reporting format gives information on how sites meet the requirements.
Choose LRQA for your BRC Packaging Certification
- Experience - We are a market leader in the provision of packaging, consumer goods, safety, quality and food safety assessment, certification and training services, and some of the world’s best known organizations choose LRQA for their assessment and certification needs.
- Proven track record - We have high-profile clients in the packaging, food, retail, logistics, storage and distribution sectors.
- BRC Specialists - Our assessors are industry specialists and experts who are matched with your business needs, enabling an effective and robust assessment of your system.
- Independent accreditation – LRQA holds accreditation from UKAS to ISO 17065:2012, enabling us to deliver accredited BRC certification.
- Global assessment reach – We’ve certified organizations to BRC across North America, Latin America, Europe and the Middle East.
- AuditOneTM – We are an approved AuditOne™ certification body with resources ready to deliver your BRC Packaging Issue 5 + AuditOne™ Voluntary Module certification.